Mountaineering and trekking in Nepal are the major activities to do in Nepal. It has been the most attractive holiday purpose to visit Nepal. However, these amazing things come with lots of risks and hurdles. Among many hurdles which are psychological and physiological the altitude sickness is also one.
Altitude sickness is the name actually given to the symptoms’ collection which happens to an individual who is on the voyage to ascend too fast above the altitude of 2500 m or 8202 ft. It generally happens once the altitude increases and the level of atmospheric pressure diminishes or thin air occurs. As the level of oxygen available to the tissues of body decreases the heart and lungs work overtime in order to compensate. This action results in the altitude sickness.
Initial symptoms of Altitude sickness are headache, nausea, dizziness, difficulty in sleeping, lethargy and shortness of breath. More advanced symptoms are rapid pulse, loss of balance, severe cough and headache also vomiting.
Altitude sickness is also termed as the Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). In order to prevent this trekkers are highly recommended to heed the instructions of trekking guides carefully. Upon arrival in the high altitude place it is advised that you stay at least two days for the acclimatization. Hydration is the key to avoid the sickness. You need to drink 3 liters of water every day and even more while hiking. The air is thinner at high altitude therefore drink as many liters of water as possible. The cleaner the urine the safer is you. Avoid the alcohol and caffeine because these are the major sources of dehydration which might lead you to get caught with the highaltitude sickness.
Always trek gradually while ascending. Pace yourself and aim always to become stronger as the trek progress higher. It is best to follow the lead of tortoise than the principle of hare. Another major mantra to avoid the altitude sickness is to climb higher and sleep low. If you reach the higher elevated place and come back to sleep at lower altitude then it always helps your body to avoid the sickness.
Diamox can be used as a medication if you are caught with the symptoms of mild AMS. We would highly recommend the natural way of avoiding high-altitude sickness as mentioned above. If you get caught with the altitude sickness even after taking so much care; do not ascend higher places and drink lots of water at least 4 liters per day. If you are suffering from acute headache take ibuprofen or paracetamol and rest. The symptoms of altitude sickness requires at least 2-3 days. In case of acute Altitude sickness immediately seek for the medical assistance.
AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness):
Acute Mountain Sickness generally considered as the normal symptoms while ascending the higher altitude. However, the degree of the risks and the types of symptoms variations might be very risky. Here are the various three stages of AMS along with their symptoms for your information.
1.Normal AMS Symptoms – Usually Normal
Following are the normal altitude symptoms that you should expect but should not be worried about. Every trekker will experience some or all of these, no matter how slowly he or she ascends.
- Periods of restlessness
- Abnormal need of more rest (frequently 10 hours or more)
- Occasional loss of craving
- Vivid, wild dreams particularly at around 2500-3800 meters in elevation
- Periodic relaxing
- The need to rest/slow down much of the time while trekking, particularly over 3500 meters
- Runny nose
- Increasing pee while moving to/at higher heights (a great sign)
2.Gentle AMS Symptoms – NEVER GO HIGHER
Numerous trekkers in the high valleys of the Himalaya get gentle AMS. Concede or recognize that you are having indications. The accompanying symptons portray mellow AMS:
- Mild migraine
- Dry Raspy hack
- Loss of craving
- Runny nose
- Hard to relax
What to do if a mellow side effect doesn’t leave?
- If you find gentle indications creating while at the same time strolling, stop and unwind (with your take off of sun) and drink a few liquids. Drink as often as possible.
- If mellow indications create while strolling, stop, have rest, drink a few liquids and take 125-250 mg of Diamox. Diamox by and large takes one to four hours to start easing manifestations. Drink more water and take rest.
- If manifestations create at night, take 125-250 mg of Diamox and drink a lot of liquids once more.
- If indications incompletely leave however are as yet irritating, it is sheltered to take another 250 mg of Diamox 6 after 8 hours.
- If mellow manifestations keep deteriorating, have a go at plummeting for a couple of hours which might be more valuable than remaining at a similar height. Going higher will exacerbate it. You’re here to appreciate trekking, not to feel debilitated.
3.Genuine AMS Symptoms – IMMEDIATE DESCENT
- Persistent, extreme migraine
- Persistent regurgitating
- Ataxia (loss of co-appointment, a failure to stroll in a straight line, influencing the sufferer to look alcoholic)
- Losing cognizance (failure to remain wakeful or comprehend directions)
- Mental perplexity or pipedreams
- Liquid sounds in the lungs
- Very industrious, some of the time watery, hack
- Difficulty relaxing
- Rapid breathing or feeling short of breath very still
- Coughing clear liquid, pink mucus or blood (an awful sign)
- Severe torpidity/weakness
- Marked blueness of face and lips
- High resting heartbeat (more than 130 thumps for every moment)
- Mild indications quickly deteriorating
Perilous Cases of AMS
High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE)
This is a development of liquid around the mind. HACE can prompt obviousness and to death inside 12 hours from the beginning of indications, yet regularly takes 1-2 days to create. Whenever there’s any hint of ataxia, start treatment with solution, oxygen and plunge. Generally 4 to 8 mg of dexamethasone is given as a first measurement, at that point 4 mg at regular intervals, Diamox like clockwork and 2-4 liters/minute oxygen. Plummet is important yet a PAC (compact elevation chamber) sack will regularly be utilized first if accessible.
High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE)
This is an aggregation of liquid in the lungs and is intense. It is in charge of the various mellow and genuine indications and usually joined by a gentle fever. By a long shot the treatment is oxygen at 4 liters per minute yet utilizing PAC (convenient elevation chamber) pack treatment is a decent substitute. On the off chance that there is no PAC sack or oxygen, at that point plummet will be life sparing. HAPE can prompt unconsciousness and passing rapidly.
Avoidance of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
- Allow adequate time for acclimatization (After 3000 meters)
- Don’t make quick Ascent. Try not to go too excessively quick.
- No Alcohol, resting pills and smoking
- Drink more liquid 3-4 liters every day, clean water, bubbled or treated, tea, espresso, soup and squeeze
- Climb high and rest low
- Do not trek/travel alone; take control/watchman
- Follow the exhortation from your guide, lodging, nearby, manual
- Descent if gentle manifestations are quickly deteriorating
- Never leave a debilitated individual or let him/her plummet alone
- Avoid getting cool
- Take a simple and happy with trekking course regardless of whether it’s more drawn out
Emergency treatment Kit
This is the fundamental rundown to cover the more typical afflictions that influence trekkers. Climbing gatherings, endeavors and trekkers going to disconnected regions will require a more extensive pack.
- Bandage for sprains
- Iodine or water channel (discretionary)
- Moleskin/Second skin – for rankles
- Antiseptic salve for cuts
- Anti-bacterial throat tablets (with clean)
- Aspirin/Paracetamol – general painkiller
- Oral rehydration salts
- Broad-range anti-toxin (norfloxacin or ciprofloxin)
- Anti-looseness of the bowels medicine (anti-microbial)
- Diarrhoea plug (Imodium – discretionary)
- Antibiotic for Guardia or comparable organism or microscopic organisms
- Diamox 250/500mg (for height infection)
- Sterile Syringe set (enemies of AIDS safety measure)
- Gel hand more clean.
It would be ideal if you Note: Our guide will likewise convey the medical aid unit sack amid the trek. Despite everything we prescribe you to bring your own emergency treatment pack also.